Today I was in the lab installing Windows 2088 R2 SP1 beta on the nodes of a test Hyper-V Live Migration Cluster. It went pretty well and quick on all nodes except for one. I got “An unknown error has occurred” and the details said Service Pack Installation failed with error code 0x800f0818. A quick search on the internet didn’t provide any applicable results. Bummer. I really need all nodes on SP1 Beta. The CBS log didn’t reveal much either but the tool Microsoft advices to use when clicking on the link to get more information about the error helped out. The link sends you to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/troubleshoot-problems-installing-service-pack and explains things to check, which is apart from anti virus tools and such inconsistencies in the Windows Servicing Store . It also points you towards the System Update Readiness Tool and provides a link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool. Click on the link to get more information on the use of it. Download the appropriate versions (in our case Windows 2008 R2 x64) and install the tool. This will check for any issues and repair them if possible. After that you can try to install SP1 beta again. But this didn’t work. What now? Well that tool creates a log named produced a log named CheckSUR.log in the folder C:WindowsLogsCBS. This is something that is documented in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821 a KB titled “Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2”
So we went to look for the log and yes it was there.
In that log file at C:WindowsLogsCBSCheckSUR.log I found the following warning:
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7600.20667
Package Version 8.0
Checking Windows Servicing Packages
Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicingPackagesMicrosoft-Windows-FileServices-BPA-Package-MiniLP~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.1.7600.16422.mum Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-Rights-Management-Services~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.mum does not match the actual file name
Checking Package Watchlist
Checking Component Watchlist
Checking Component Store
Seconds executed: 371
Found 1 errors
CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 1
Unavailable repair files:
Ah well we’ve dealt with issues like this before with Vista and Windows 2008 when files in the C:Windowswinsxs folder get corrupted. No sweat, especially since this is a lab and I have other servers available. The trick is to copy these from another Windows 2008 R2 server (those where a more recent version than the ones on the problematic server). Now to be able to do this you might need to take ownership of the folder and grant yourself full control so you can overwrite the files.
The default permissions on the Package folder.
An example of the default permissions of a file in the Package folder.
Afterwards you give ownership back to the original owner of the folder and files and take away your permissions to restore the original state of the server. The Local Administrator group is the default owner and the Trusted Installer is the one with Full Control permissions, so make sure that’s back in order.
But the main thing is using the System Update Readiness Tool and checking the log file resulted in me being able to find the root cause of the SP1 beta install issue and fix it. It’s a typical issue your see once with a service pack install. The solution is a bit convoluted and you need a good second machine to borrow the files from but in the end it’s not very complicated to fix.
So if you run into some issues during the Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Beta installation you know what to try so you to can enjoy testing Windows 2008 R2 SP1 just like me 🙂