You have to hand it to Microsoft. At the moment a customer is contemplating buying MDOP they announce a sweet added benefit with that package, code named “Malta” or the Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM) Beta. You can sign up for this via the connect page and the Béta is expected in March 2011, yes this month. Would be nice to see how it holds up in use.
According to the Connect site Malta is a BitLocker management solution that will enable IT to more easily deploy and manage BitLocker volume encryption technology across the enterprise. Using Malta:
- IT can automate the process of encrypting volumes on client machines across the enterprise
- Helpdesk can reduce the time required for BitLocker PIN and Recovery Key information
- Security officers can quickly produce reliable evidence that indicates the compliance state of individual computers or even the enterprise itself.
- Security Officers can easily audit access to Recover Key information.
- Windows Enterprise users are empowered to continue working anywhere knowing their corporate data is protected.
Look people even if you just a low profile outfit, don’t become road kill because some bad guys got to your data and published or sold it. Protect your assets and reputation. The technology to do this is available and it’s getting better and better. You do have to use it to be protected, so to paraphrase Nike, just do it. When your CFO forgets his laptop on the commute train he’ll thank you for it. More info on the Microsoft TechNet page Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM)